George Street in New Quay 100 years ago was much the same as it is now. The house on the right was formerly a funeral home, now a family home.
Church Street - the shop 'Bon Marche' is now the pharmacy and the building beside it is the former Queens Hotel - now closed down.
By the turn of the century canvas changing tents appeared on beaches - initially round military-style bell-tents, and later clusters of tents of varying shapes, some coloured and striped: erected by local councils or by private individuals, they were hired by the day or longer periods.
Great Western Railways S.S. Atalanta was an exccursion vessel operating in the North West. Launched in 1907, it was also used as a rescue tug in the Scilly Isles during WW1.
As well as a busy port, New Quay was a center for boat building, and at Cei Bach there were numerous boats launched.
The New Quay Regatta was a big event 100 years ago. Today it is known as the Cardigan Bay Regatta
The first lifeboat station was built in New Quay in 1864. The first boat was the 'Forester' and was propelled by oars.
Again, little changed in 100 years other than the houses being more coourful.
The Dolau pub, is now closed. The property next door is now the 'Pepper Pot' restaurant.
The property in the foreground is Cliffside, now a gift shop.
Charabancs carried visitors from the nearest railway station at Aberaeron. These were run by GWR.
More info about charabancs.
Building started on High Terrace in 1851 when it was known as Chapel Row. At that time there were only 3 houses.
Phone: 01545 561707
Nant y GidoNew QuayCeredigion SA45 9TR
email: email@example.com Phone: 01545 561707
Download for Windows
Download for Mac
© Copyright 2017 Mobirise - All Rights Reserved